The following services are available to each student and hosted by Google as part of Roxboro Community School online presence in Google Apps for Education:
- Drive – word processing, spreadsheet, drawing, and presentation tools; 30 GB of cloud-based storage
- Calendar – a student calendar providing the ability to organize schedules, daily activities, and assignments
- Sites – an academic and collaborative website creation tool
- Search – a great source of instant knowledge, providing answers about real-world places, people and things
- Mail – an academic email account for school use managed by the Roxboro Community School
- Contacts – a way to store and organize teacher and student information
- Groups – a way to send messages to groups of teachers and students
Using these tools, students collaboratively create, edit and share files as well as websites for school related projects and communicate via email with other students and teachers. These services are entirely online and available 24/7 from any internet-connected device. Examples of student use include showcasing class projects, building an electronic portfolio of school learning experiences, and working in small groups on presentations to share with others.
Technology use in Roxboro Community School is governed by federal laws including:
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
COPPA applies to commercial companies and limits their ability to collect personal information from children under 13. By default, advertising is turned off for Craven School District’s presence in Google Apps for Education. No personal student information is collected for commercial purposes. This permission form allows the school to act as an agent for parents in the collection of information within the school context. The school’s use of student information is solely for education purposes.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
FERPA protects the privacy of student education records and gives parents the rights to review student records. Under FERPA, schools may disclose directory information but parents may request the school not disclose this information. Parents are provided the opportunity annually to opt out of disclosing their student’s directory information on the District’s Enrollment Form.
Guidelines for the responsible use of Google Apps for Education by students:
- Official Email Address – All students will be assigned a firstname.lastname@example.org email account. This account will be considered the student’s official RCS email address until such time as the student is no longer enrolled with Roxboro Community School.
- Prohibited Conduct – Please refer to the Roxboro Community School Student Handbook. Access to and use of student email is considered a privilege accorded at the discretion of the Craven County School District. Additional personal accounts may not be created with the student’s email. Roxboro Community School maintains the right to immediately withdraw the access and use of these services including email when there is reason to believe that violations of law or policies have occurred. In such cases, the alleged violation will be referred to a building Administrator for further investigation and adjudication.
- Access Restriction – Access to and use of student email is considered a privilege granted at the discretion of the Roxboro Community School. The District maintains the right to immediately withdraw the access and use of these services including email when there is reason to believe that violations of law or District policies have occurred. In such cases, the alleged violation will be referred to a building Administrator for further investigation and adjudication.
- Security – Roxboro Community School cannot and does not guarantee the security of electronic files located on Google Systems. Although Google does have a powerful content filter in place for email, the school system cannot assure that users will not be exposed to unsolicited information.
- Privacy – The general right of privacy will be granted to the fullest extent possible in the electronic environment. Roxboro Community School and all electronic users should treat electronically stored information in individuals’ files as confidential and private. However, users of student email are strictly prohibited from accessing files and information other than their own. The school system reserves the right to access the student’s Google Apps for Education Account including current and archival files when there is reasonable suspicion that unacceptable use has occurred.